CLOSING DATE: 01/17/14 04:30 PM
This is the first step in a three-step career progression. This entry-level position registers voters in Adams County and provides information regarding election procedures and regulations to general public and political parties and candidates. Provide assistance on one or more specific election area such as election judges, absentee voting, polling places or record maintenance. Perform clerical tasks in support of department operations.
EXAMPLES OF IMPORTANT AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
* Registers eligible voters in Adams County, both in the office and at branch and mobile locations. Answer questions and provide assistance with filling out information.
* Provides election information upon request of County staff and officials, political parties and the general public. Utilizes knowledge of election regulations and procedures or refers to statutes in order to disseminate information. May interpret broad policies to fit specific problems.
* Updates voter registration records after elections and assists with various functions required to finalize election results.
* May collect and route mail for election department and other departments under the Clerk and Recorder.
* May be required to work offsite, i.e. warehouse, polling places, judge's school, etc.
* Performs one or more of the following specialized duties: Coordinate with political parties and individuals within Adams County to establish a list of individuals to act as election judges for primary, general and mail ballot elections. Assist in setting up and carrying out training classes for election judges as required by statute and assist in the preparation of training materials.
* Works with various county and local agencies in obtaining information from and then maintaining locator database (address file of all residential addresses with Adams County). This database contains precinct and special district information necessary for proper issuance of ballots during elections.
* Update Adams County Election Department mapping information. Ability to read and use maps as they pertain to the election system and election processes.
* Accepts and processes absentee voter ballot requests for upcoming elections.
* Reviews and processes FCPA filings for candidates running for countywide offices.
* Visits and surveys polling/vote center locations. Verifies site meets H.A.V.A. requirements. Uses specialized software to layout vote center and determine equipment requirements for each site.
* Set-up and verify ballot content in GEMS (specialized ballot lay-out and tabulation software) for both electronic and paper ballots. Assist with the Logic and Accuracy testing as well as Pre and Post Election audits per C.R.S.
* Provide assistance in other areas of the Clerk and Recorder's Office as needed.
* Performs other related duties as required.
* Exercises no supervisory responsibilities.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities to:
* Knowledge of data entry procedures, typing ability and basic math and grammar skills. Accuracy in counting or posting, mental alertness and adaptability to routines.
* Knowledge of interpersonal communication skills and ability to establish effective working relationships with County staff, officials and the general public.
* Knowledge of or ability to learn location of streets, street names and address ranges of the streets that are located in Adams County, its various jurisdictions and districts.
* Knowledge of PC basics and ability to learn specialized election computer systems and applications and their uses.
* Knowledge of or ability to learn State and local statutes and regulations affecting elections.
* General knowledge of local government organization and office locations.
* Ability to or learn to operate standard office equipment such as fax and copy machines, telephone systems, adding machines, printers and windows based personal computers.
* Ability to learn Clerk and Recorder's policies and procedures.
* Ability to use reference and research materials.
* Ability to calmly deal with angry or upset individuals on the telephone or in person.
* Knowledge of local office procedures and policies, knowledge of office functions, provide general customer assistance, able to answer most basic customer questions, be familiar with local government organization and office locations.
* Ability to work extended hours as needed during the election process. Mandatory overtime required during election cycles (weekends and holidays included).
* Ability to work with other government offices and entities, political parties and candidates and issue committees
* Ability to work in a deadline driven environment.
* Ability to perform essential functions of the position.
* Ability to stoop, stand, sit for extended periods and reach overhead and push, pull or handle objects weighing a minimum of 25 pounds.
In order to be successful, the employee must demonstrate competence in the following areas:
10 key by touch
Type 40 WPM
Business /Industry Knowledge
Personal & Interpersonal:
* Experience - One year of job experience that included general clerical work and customer service experience is required. Experience in data entry and computer operations is preferred, but not required.
* Education - High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
* License or Certificate - Ability to become deputized, a Class R driver's license and own transportation is required.
* Must be able to type 40 wpm.
Essential duties require the following physical abilities and work environment:
* Ability to stoop, stand, sit for extended periods, and reach overhead and push, pull or handle objects weighing 25 pounds or less.
Work is performed primarily in an office environment. Work atmosphere may be noisy and hectic due to contact with general public in person and on the telephone. Ability to function in a deadline-driven environment.
WORK LOCATION: Adams County Government Center, 4430 S. Adams County Parkway, Brighton, CO 80601.
DAYS/HOURS: Monday through Friday, either 7 am - 4 pm or 8 am to 5 pm