Business & Economic Development Specialist
Overall Job Objective
- What Success Looks Like In This Job
- The Business Development Specialist serves under the direction and general leadership of the Economic Development Administrator. The Business Development Specialist performs complex professional project management of economic development projects focused on specific industry clusters including but not limited to, food/beverage and agriculture development, manufacturing, energy/solid waste and recycling development projects. This position actively engages with the business community to promote growth and sustainability of Adams County Businesses. The individual in this position must be able to establish, maintain and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work and handle confidential and sensitive information.
- Examples of Duties for Success
- Develops, coordinates and implements a business retention and expansion program, aligned with the Economic Development Master Plan.
- Contributes to the development and enhancement of the department processes for prospect tracking, business intake and economic impact analysis, and completing and awarding business development opportunities.
- Responds and provides follow-through to business and developer prospect calls and inquiries by conducting research, coordinating with other County Departments, creating proposals and making presentations.
- Assists with marketing activities, marketing collateral materials and website for the department.
- Represents the County and the Economic Development team at networking, business and community events, industry conferences leveraging opportunities to market Adams County.
- Maintains effective partnerships with County Departments representing local business concerns during the review and permitting process.
- Responsible for project management of Adams County business client's expansions; to include but not limited to attending concept reviews, completing incentive analysis, County Commission presentations.
- Acts as a liaison to and point of contact for the business community including public, private and non-profit groups and associations concerning economic development within Unincorporated Adams County.
- Evaluates the county's development review process to ensure effectiveness and efficiencies.
- Recommends policies and procedures regarding business development matters to further improve the business environment in Adams County.
- Keeps appraised of specific industry cluster projects occurring within the county and disseminates information regarding the projects, including updating internal and external customers on the status of projects.
- Pursues federal, state and other outside funding as appropriate.
- Makes presentations to various groups.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Qualifications for Success
- A minimum of three (3) years of relevant experience related to economic development, redevelopment, or economic vitality which demonstrates success in working with the private sector or business community.
- Administrative experience overseeing economic development activities in the public or private sector, non-profit, higher education or environment.
- More Qualifications for Success
Education and Training:
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Economics, Planning, Public Administration, Marketing, and Urban and/or Regional Planning.
- A combination of technical and professional economic development experience or training may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the bachelor's degree, but not for the required experience as detailed above.
License and Certificate:
- Possession of, or the ability to obtain, a valid driver's license.
- Must pass a criminal background check.
MORE QUALIFICATIONS FOR SUCCESS:
- Ability to work in a standard office environment.
- Some travel to different sites may occur.