Community and Economic Development Director
- What Success Looks Like In This Job
The Director is responsible for providing leadership and strategic vision to the Community and Economic Development Department for the following Divisions: Development Services (Development Review, Building Safety, and Long Range Planning), One-Stop Customer Center /Licensing and Process Improvement, Community Development/Housing Services, Economic Development, Regional Transportation, and Environmental Management.
In addition to developing a strategic vision for the department, this position will organize and direct the regulation and permitting of development, community planning, code compliance, and a variety of other community services and functions, while fostering an environment that recognizes exemplary customer service in daily operations. The primary intent of the position will be to develop a customer-centric culture that embraces high quality customer service, while ensuring the overall health and safety of the residents in the County.
This is a key position within Adams County and promotes and integrates the mission, vision, values and cultural norms of the organization. The ideal candidate will be an innovative leader with a high level of integrity and the ability to inspire others to work toward the County's vision and mission, have a proven track record of building and maintaining effective relationships with staff and external customers by operating in line with the cultural norms and values of support and encourage, demonstrate respect, exhibit fairness, communicate effectively, and be trustworthy.
- Examples of Duties for Success
- Provides leadership responsibility for all department services, activities, and sections that include Development Services (Development Review, Building Safety, and Long Range Planning), One-Stop Customer Center / Licensing and Process Improvement, Community Development/Housing Services, Regional Transportation Planning, Economic Development, and Environmental Management.
- Embraces public service to the community and demonstrate a global organizational perspective in decision making.
- Provides leadership and alignment of the implementation of the organizational strategic plan to the department's goals, objectives, policies, and priorities.
- Fosters a participatory organizational culture that is open, positive, reinforcing, and supportive.
- Develop and manages the operating and capital budgets for the department, including reporting the financial status of the department to executive management and elected officials; directs the forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, material, and supplies; directs the monitoring of and approves expenditures; directs the preparation of and implements budgetary adjustments as necessary.
- Selects, trains, motivates, and evaluates Community and Economic Development personnel; provides and/or coordinates staff training; works with employees to correct deficiencies; implements discipline and termination procedures.
- Provides staff support to various boards and commissions including the Board of County Commissioners, Planning Commission, Board of Adjustment, Marijuana and Liquor Licensing Authority, Building and Fire Code Board of Appeals, and others.
- Oversees the Adams County Development Standards and Regulations and recommends updates to the Board of County Commissioners and the Planning Commission, as necessary.
- Manages the regulation of oil and gas development within unincorporated Adams County
- Oversees the development of the County's comprehensive plans and associated neighborhood plans, transportation plans, corridor plans, balanced housing plan, and other similar plan documents.
- Oversees a coordinated and strategic approach to economic development, working with internal staff, as well as various partner organizations.
- Oversees management of various funding programs related to community development, such as Community Development Block Grants, HOME, Minor Home Repair, etc.
- Works directly with Department Directors of other counties to collaborate on issues of common importance.
- Directs the management team of the various divisions and handles personnel issues as they arise.
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as required.
- Qualifications for Success
- Skilled and proficient in Microsoft Office applications including: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge and understanding of local government budget laws and County government structure.
- Possesses a collaborative managerial ability and skill in leading teams of individuals.
- Basic knowledge of community service programs including: CDBG, development review services, economic development, comprehensive planning, code compliance, and building regulations.
- Ability to develop and follow strategic plans.
- Skilled in building and maintaining interpersonal relations.
- Knowledge of local government.
- Savviness in political environments.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- More Qualifications for Success
- Minimum of seven (7) years leadership experience.
- Local Government experience is highly desirable, preferably in planning, community development, or economic development
- Education and Training:
- Bachelor's Degree in Planning, Public Administration or a closely related field.
- Master's Degree is preferred.
- License or Certificate:
- Possession of, or the ability to obtain, a valid Colorado driver's license is required.
- Certification and/or licensure by the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP)or the International Economic Development Council (CEcD) is preferred.
- Background Check: Must pass a criminal background check.