Director of Culture Services
- What Success Looks Like In This Job
As a member of the People and Culture Leadership Team, provide strategic leadership, collaboration and planning related to cultural norms and values to ensure alignment with Adams County government's mission, vision and values.
Provide strategic and operational leadership to the Culture Services Department including Recruitment, Orientation, Onboarding, Organizational Effectiveness, Learning and Development, and Diversity and Inclusion. Establish short and long-term service area and divisional priorities, goals, and objectives; organize and direct special projects and work teams; identify and implement strategies to ensure continuous improvement, employee engagement and customer service in all areas of People and Culture Services; and ensure that service area initiatives are in alignment with the mission, vision and goals of the Executive Leadership Team (ELT) and Board of County Commissioners.
- Examples of Duties for Success
- Identify, develop and implement agency-wide work-force performance and productivity initiatives and goals in collaboration with the P&C leadership team and the ELT.
- Cultivate and sustain people and process outcomes.
- Create an organizational culture that maximizes individual potential, expands professional opportunities for our employees, and helps them contribute positively to the county and the community.
- Develop and implement policies, procedures, goals, objectives and initiatives that support the county's norms, values, mission and vision.
- Oversee the preparation of reports and recommendations to the ELT, Tier 1, 2 and 3 teams and the Board of County Commissioners.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with elected officials, department directors, managers, supervisors, employees, other agencies and the public.
- Perform high level strategic planning and project management, and public representation work.
- Monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of the work teams within Cultural Services.
- Represent the county at a wide range of community meetings and governmental initiatives as directed by the Deputy County Manager of People & Culture.
- Select, train, motivate, and evaluate assigned personnel, provide or coordinate management of staff training, work with employees to correct deficiencies, implement discipline and termination procedures.
- Direct/perform the investigation and resolution of complaints/concerns related to departments/divisions operations and activities as assigned and upon request; identify and initiate solutions to major issues involving policy, service delivery, and organization changes and directions.
- Maintain current knowledge of laws, codes, regulations, policies and procedures related to areas of responsibility; modify programs, projects, procedures and services to assure compliance with standards and best practices.
- Report to the Deputy County Manager of People & Culture in administering the short-and long-term operations of the county.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as required.
- Knowledge of the theories, principles, and practices of organizational analysis, management, and public administration.
- Knowledge of the federal, state and local laws, statutes, ordinances, rules, and regulations pertaining to local government operations.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of leadership, motivation, team building and conflict resolution.
- Knowledge of standard performance/priority based budgeting practices and techniques.
- Ability to lead strategic planning efforts and identify and develop key performance indicators.
- Ability to evaluate complex circumstances, identify tangible alternative actions and to evaluate their efficiency and effectiveness.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality as it pertains to personnel, legal matters, and business negotiations.
- Ability to create and implement strategic and organizational plans
- Ability to demonstrate objectivity, fairness, creativity and resourcefulness in resolving conflict within and outside the County organization.
- Ability to establish budgets and capital improvement programs; effectively and efficiently organize large service-oriented operations.
- Skill in managing, planning and coordinating major projects to achieve the County's mission, vision, values, and objectives.
- Skill in developing, implementing and evaluating policies and procedures.
- Skill in applying appropriate public relations skill in various situations and circumstances and in facilitating change.
- Skill in operating a computer and Microsoft Office Suite Applications.
- Ability to prepare reports and to present facts clearly and concisely, orally, and in writing.
- Establish, maintain and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Qualifications for Success
- Experience: Five to seven years of progressively responsible managerial/leadership experience in a public or private organization. Preferred experience in local government administration including Human Resources, Organizational Development, Talent Management and/or Organizational Culture. Extensive experience in human resources and organizational development is highly desirable.
- Education and Training: Bachelor's degree in public administration, business administration or related field. A master's degree in public administration, business administration or a related field highly preferred.
- Background Check: Must pass a criminal (CBI) background check.
- More Qualifications for Success
- Exercises direct supervision over staff.