Head Start Cook
- What Success Looks Like In This Job
We are seeking a caring and knowledgeable Head Start Cook to assist the Health & Nutrition Supervisor with coordinating daily operations and personnel; and assist with all aspects of healthful and safe food preparation, food service budgeting, and service for Adams County Head Start.
- Examples of Duties for Success
- Preparation of meals for children enrolled in the Head Start program in accordance with local Health Department and Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) regulations.
- Operate a variety of institutional kitchen equipment including a steam kettle, gas stove, oven, and commercial dishwasher.
- Track and maintain weekly production record sheets of meals served for submission to CACFP for reimbursement purposes.
- Maintain a monthly inventory of all food products and dry stock.
- Order operating supplies and small wares as needed.
- Receive weekly food and non-food supply orders.
- Assist Health & Nutrition Supervisor in planning well balanced and nutritious menus.
- Ensure proper storage of supplies and foodstuffs according to local health code regulations and HACCP procedures.
- Assist with the maintenance of food service facilities, equipment, and storage areas in a clean and sanitary manner.
- Attend staff meetings and training sessions.
- Attend and participate in extracurricular Head Start events as requested.
- Facilitate and participate in the development of child/parent nutrition education programs.
- Prepare meals for children with special diets and diet modifications
- Deliver meals from central kitchen to other centers.
- Perform minor maintenance on Head Start delivery vehicle.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as required.
- Qualifications for Success
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- Experience: Two years of high-volume institutional-based cooking environment (schools, correctional and health care facilities).
- Education and Training: High school diploma or GED. Preferred requirement: Associates Degree in Culinary Arts, Related Food Service, Nutrition or equivalent experience.
- License or Certificate: Must have a valid Colorado Drivers License
- Background Check: Must pass a criminal background check and Central Registry check.
- Must complete physical examination and TB test upon hire.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time, lift up to 50 pounds, withstand exposure to heat, cleaning chemicals, noise, and hazards from kitchen appliances.