Legal Assistant - D&N
- What Success Looks Like In This Job
We are seeking a customer-service, detail-oriented candidate to support and assist attorneys in the Adams County Attorney's Office with general legal assistance, including administrative and clerical duties in the area of dependency and neglect. This position may also assist when necessary with adult protection, mental health, child support and administrative hearings.
- Examples of Duties for Success
- Calendar court appearances and deadlines and assist attorneys with maintaining their calendars.
- Draft and prepare legal correspondence, petitions, pleadings, motions, stipulations, and orders for cases involving dependency and neglect.
- Prepare court dockets and clear and set hearings with the court.
- File and retrieve court filings using electronic filing system.
- Review filings and determine appropriate responsive action.
- Assist in review and preparation of cases for court.
- Manage document system, including paper and electronic files.
- Provide general clerical support to the County Attorney's office.
- Order office supplies, arrange for payment of bills, and perform other office administrative tasks.
- Act as receptionist providing information and assistance to County staff and the public.
- Screen telephone calls and requests for information and route calls for appropriate response.
- Maintain confidentiality of case sensitive issues and maintain confidentiality as it pertains to attorney-client privilege.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as required.
- Qualifications for Success
- Experience with child abuse, child neglect and child victim cases or other similarly sensitive cases preferred.
- Ability to work with cases that involve highly sensitive and confidential and sometimes emotionally disturbing issues, including child abuse, sexual abuse, severe neglect, etc.
- Ability to multi-task and handle multiple ongoing projects.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Good working knowledge of computer systems and word processing programs and ability to type efficiently.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Skilled in attention to detail in writing and reviewing documents
- Knowledge of legal terminology necessary to complete assignments
- Knowledge of court processes
- Skilled in proper use of English spelling, grammar and punctuation both orally and in written form
- Ability to use computer applications for file tracking, electronic filing, etc
- Ability to type quickly and with accuracy.
- Ability to use sound independent judgment and take personal initiative
- Ability to establish, maintain and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- More Qualifications for Success
- Two years of office experience in a legal environment or with the courts.
- Experience working with court filings or court proceedings preferred.
License or Certificate: None required.
Background Check: Must pass a criminal (CBI) background check.