Manager of Planning Design & Construction
- What Success Looks Like In This Job
The Adams County Parks, Open Space & Cultural Arts Department is looking for a dynamic individual to join our team and assist in bringing the County’s Vision - Adams County is the most innovative and inclusive county in America for all families and businesses; and the Department’s Vision - To significantly enhance quality of life, enrich communities & INSPIRE! - to life. If selected, you will manage all planning, design, and construction projects for the Parks, Open Space & Cultural Arts Department. This includes but is not limited to providing leadership to various planning efforts for the department, leading capital projects planning, design and construction and working with consultants in support of these efforts. There is one planning position who will report to you and you will be tasked with maintaining a global perspective on customer service when coordinating with residents, stakeholders, county representatives, and outside agencies. You will also be expected to provide highly responsible and complex professional support to the Deputy Director and Director of Parks, Open Space & Cultural Arts. If this sounds like a good fit, please continue reading!
- Examples of Duties for Success
- Inspires staff working in the Planning, Design and Construction Division to provide superior customer service to residents at all times, and especially during the planning process.
- Leads with YES to meet expectations of residents, the Board of County Commissioners, and members of the County’s Sr. Leadership Team.
- Works with architects, engineers, and planners to ensure that the BOCC’s vision for the County’s parks, open space properties, and trails comes to life.
- Uses an innovative and creative approach to improving the Department’s assets through a well-planned Annual and 5-Year Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) that meets the resident’s needs.
- Continuously monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures in particular taking care to ensure that all residents of Adams County are equitably served by their park and open space system.
- Participates in all Department planning efforts including strategic plans, master plans, planning coalitions, and smaller planning efforts to ensure efficiency and consistency.
- Leads the development and administration of the Department capital budget including planning for larger acquisitions, renovations, and new projects as well as capital maintenance.
- Manages an active and successful grant writing program for the Department.
- Serves as liaison for the Department with other County departments, professional organizations, and outside agencies.
- Prepares and makes presentations to the Open Space Advisory Board (OSAB), Board of County Commissioners (BoCC), and to the general public for various planning and construction projects.
- Reviews and approves plans and specifications, designs, environmental documents, reports, permit applications and studies.
- Manages the development review of referrals from Community and Economic Development and external agencies.
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as required.
- Qualifications for Success
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of site planning and public property, park, open space, trail, and building design.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of parks maintenance and organizational management practices as applied to the analysis and evaluation of planning and design.
- Knowledge of technical, computerized applications and processes needed to maximize planning, design, and construction management scheduling and efficiency.
- Knowledge of recent developments, current literature, and sources of information regarding Parks, Open Space, Recreation, Trails, Cultural Arts, Special Events, and other areas of the Department.
- Knowledge of the principles of supervision, training, and performance evaluation.
- Knowledge and ability to interpret and apply pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, codes, and regulations pertaining to parks, open space, and trail projects.
- Knowledge of grant writing and fulfillment of grant agreements, and of major grant funders for parks, trails, and open space projects in Colorado.
- Ability to analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions, and implement recommendations in support of goals.
- Ability to research, analyze, and evaluate new service delivery methods, procedures, and techniques.
- Computer Skills: Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, ArcView GIS, and CAD and Electronic Blueprint programs.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing. Excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Is seen by their peers as a living embodiment of the Adams County Values, Norms and Cultural Competencies.
- More Qualifications for Success
- Five (5) years of increasingly responsible landscape architect and project management experience required including two (2) years supervisory experience.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in landscape architecture, architecture, civil engineering or a directly related field.
- Master's Degree is preferred.
- Landscape Architect or Registered Architect required
- Licensed General Contractor preferred.
Other: Ability to work in a standard office environment and be able attend project field visits in remote working conditions. Experience: