Seasonal Parks Worker I - Trails
- What Success Looks Like In This Job
Watch our video and learn about our Adams County culture!
We are seeking a seasonal Parks Maintenance Worker to perform a variety of duties involved in the maintenance of parks, trails, and related facilities.
Note: This is a temporary, seasonal position.
- Examples of Duties for Success
- Perform a full range of turf maintenance duties; water, mow, weed, trim, aerate, renovate, and fertilize turf.
- Perform a full range of shrub and flower bed maintenance; plant, water, fertilize, and maintain landscaped areas including bushes, trees, flowers, and shrubs; control weeds.
- Trim and prune bushes, trees, and shrubs to provide clearance of sidewalks, signs and lights, as well as to ensure the continued health of the bush, tree, or shrub.
- Perform a variety of duties in the maintenance and repair of the irrigation system; change and adjust heads; maintain controllers; assist in irrigation system installation and maintenance projects.
- Operate a full range of grounds maintenance vehicles and equipment including dump trucks, mowers, edges, blowers, forklift, tractors, loaders, and hand and power tools; maintain tools and equipment and perform preventive maintenance on equipment.
- Inspect and maintain play equipment, picnic tables, and other related parks equipment and facilities; install and repair playground equipment, fences, and other related parks equipment and facilities; sand and paint trash receptacles, picnic tables, and related items.
- Identify plant and animal pests to be controlled; measure, mix, and apply chemicals to trees, shrubs, grass, and flowers to control weeds, insects, and plant diseases; set and monitor rodent traps.
- Remove fallen trees, stumps, fallen limbs, and related debris resulting from storm damage and general conditions.
- Patrol parks and trails; identify maintenance needs and safety hazards; report needs to appropriate staff.
- Remove graffiti along trails, in parks, and in other areas.
- Rake leaves and clear debris from walks, trails, fields, and other facilities; sweep trail roads and parking lots; pick up trash.
- Clean and maintain restrooms; stock restrooms with necessary supplies; repair toilets, urinals, and faucets.
- Identify equipment needs for each assigned project.
- Perform winterizing maintenance in parks, gardens, and County owned facilities; remove snow.
- Inspect and maintain play equipment, picnic tables, and other related parks equipment and facilities; install and repair playground equipment, fences, and other related parks equipment and facilities; sand and paint trash receptacles, picnic tables and related items.
- Determine appropriate methods, sequences, and layout of work detail.
- Assist in the construction of various projects; assist in the maintenance of roads and parking lots.
- Assist in the set-up and removal of equipment needed for special events.
- Deal courteously and tactfully with the public in response to inquiries and complaints; provide information regarding rules and regulations of the parks, trails, and other facilities.
- Supervise seasonal and volunteer staff.
- Assist in the setup and operations of the Adams County Fair; prepare signs.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as required.
- Qualifications for Success
- Basic methods, techniques, and tools used in the construction and maintenance of trails, parks, landscaped areas, and related facilities.
- Uses, purposes, and operating characteristics of basic parks maintenance tools and equipment.
- Occupational hazards and necessary precautions applicable to assigned work.
- Preventive maintenance requirements.
- Safe work practices.
- Learn to use, operate, and maintain chemical spraying equipment in performance of chemical spraying duties..
- Learn to operate a variety of mechanical equipment in a safe and effective manner.
- Learn to use and operate hand tools, mechanical equipment, and power tools and equipment.
- Learn County policies, procedures, and codes related to grounds maintenance.
- Learn pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, codes, and regulations.
- Identify plant and animal pests that are harmful to plants.
- Learn chemical pesticides and herbicides and their use.
- Learn the operating characteristics of and repair principles used on irrigation systems.
- Learn the watering requirements for lawns, trees and plants, and various types of soil.
- Perform park maintenance, landscaping, reconstruction, and repair work.
- Perform minor or routine maintenance and repair of recreation equipment, picnic tables, and pavilions.
- Deal tactfully with the public.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- More Qualifications for Success
- Experience: Some grounds maintenance or related experience.
- Education and Training: Formal or informal education or training which ensures the ability to read and write at a level necessary for successful job performance.
- License or Certificate: Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid driver's license.
- Background Check: Must pass a criminal background check.
Essential duties require the following physical abilities and work environment:
- Ability to sit, stand, kneel, crouch, squat, stoop, reach, crawl, twist, climb, and lift 50 pounds;
- Exposure to noise, outdoors, confining work space, electrical hazards, chemicals, dust, and mechanical hazards.
- Availability for on-call and stand-by call.