Taxpayer Service Representative I (Bilingual Preferred)
- What Success Looks Like In This Job
This is an entry level position that focuses on receiving and applying tax payments to tax accounts via the Treasurer's software (EagleTyler®) and provides a high level of taxpayer service. The position is assigned to in-office duties, generally, at any one or more of the Treasury facilities in Adams County, but, the position will also be called on, from time-to-time, to perform in-the-field work, as well.
- Examples of Duties for Success
- Answers complex questions about real and personal property tax accounts, tax exemptions, tax deferrals, mobile home taxation, movement permitting, authentication, and, purging.
- Provides high level, prompt, courteous, and professional service through answering phones and in person.
- Receives, verifies, and applies tax payments. High volume of payments in cash, check, and card, per position; must be appropriately quick at reviewing tax accounts and applying both taxpayer and 3rd party payments correctly with minimal errors.
- Processes miscellaneous cash receipts from other elected offices and county departments.
- Opens and processes all daily incoming mail. Incoming mail in the Treasury is high volume, consisting of 10-20 trays per morning at approximately 700-1200 mail units (envelopes) per tray. Ability to lift 20-40 lbs. frequently is required.
- Upon request by the Treasurer, researches law, procedures, and tax account matters, and drafts professional correspondence to citizens.
- Performs daily scanning of payments and correspondence, and archival within State law requirements and Treasury procedures of same.
- Performs frequent till reconciliations and participates in audits of tills.
- May be called on to work with Tax Compliance Chief in addressing delinquent tax accounts, and therefore, must be able to walk significant distances in a day, in all types of weather.
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as requested by Treasurer.
- Qualifications for Success
- Skilled in providing superior taxpayer service via phone, mail, email, and, face-to-face.
- Skilled with computers, including navigation within multiple drives, and, file structures.
- Proficient with MS Office Suite, and most specifically, Excel and Outlook.
- Strong critical thinking and analysis, cash handling, numerical calculation accuracy, ten-key by touch, and, highly proficient written and verbal English and Spanish grammar skills.
- Communicate clearly, concisely, and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Must establish, maintain, and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work, including the Treasury team, other Elected Officials' offices and teams, County employees, taxpayers, and, other Treasury stakeholders.
- More Qualifications for Success
- Experience Required: Two (2) years of related experience in a combination to include cashiering, taxpayer or customer service, and/or banking.
- Education and Training:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent, along with the Experience requirement, is required.
- Associate Degree in Business Administration, Economics, and/or Finance could substitute for the required 2 years of experience.
- License or Certificate: Notary Public commission by the Colorado Secretary of State, in good standing, is desired, and may be required, after hiring.
- Background Check: Must pass criminal background check/s prior to hiring, and from time-to-time during employment.
- Bilingual preferred