Taxpayer Service Representative I
- What Success Looks Like In This Job
This is an entry level position that focuses on receiving and applying tax payments to tax accounts via the Treasurer's software (EagleTyler®) and provides a high level of taxpayer service. The position is assigned to in-office duties, generally, at any one or more of the Treasury facilities in Adams County, but, the position will also be called on, from time-to-time, to perform in-the-field work, as well.
- Examples of Duties for Success
- Answers complex questions about real and personal property tax accounts, tax exemptions, tax deferrals, mobile home taxation, movement permitting, authentication, and purging.
- Provides high level, prompt, courteous, and professional service in person, via email, and phone.
- Receives, verifies, and applies tax payments. High volume of payments in cash, check, and card, per position; must be appropriately quick at analyzing tax accounts and applying both taxpayer and 3rd party payments correctly with minimal to no errors.
- Processes miscellaneous cash receipts from other elected offices and county departments.
- Opens and processes all daily incoming mail. Incoming mail in the Treasury is high volume, consisting of 10-20 trays per morning at approximately 700-1200 mail units (envelopes) per tray. Ability to lift 20-40 lbs. frequently is required.
- Upon request by the Treasurer, researches law, procedures, and tax account matters, and drafts professional correspondence to citizens.
- Performs daily scanning of payments and correspondence, and archival within State law requirements and Treasury procedures of same.
- Performs frequent till reconciliations and participates in audits of tills.
- May be called on to work with Tax Compliance Chief in enforcing tax laws as to delinquent tax accounts, and therefore, must be able to walk significant distances in a day, in all types of weather.
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as requested by Treasurer.
- Qualifications for Success
- Skilled in providing superior taxpayer service via phone, mail, email, and face-to-face.
- Skilled with computers, including navigation within multiple drives, and, file structures.
- Proficient with MS Office Suite, and most specifically, Excel and Outlook.
- Strong critical thinking and analysis, cash handling, numerical calculation accuracy, ten-key by touch, and, highly proficient written and verbal English (and Spanish if hired for Spanish skills) grammar skills.
- Communicate clearly, concisely, and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Must establish, maintain, and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work, including the Treasury and Public Trustee team, other Elected Officials’ offices and teams, County employees, taxpayers, and, other Treasury and Public Trustee stakeholders.
- Ensures strict adherence to established guidelines, policies, procedures and standards. Reviews and analyzes work completed to determine effectiveness in meeting standards, goals and objectives.
- This position must be able to perform all of the essential tasks required no later than by the 6th month of appointment.
- A review of the incumbent's performance on the above performance indicators will be conducted on a periodic basis as determined by the supervisor. The supervisor evaluates the incumbent's administration of policies and procedures through daily observations, spot checks, written reports, feedback from other staff members and the public, and communication with the incumbent.
- More Qualifications for Success
- Experience Required: Two (2) years of related experience in a combination to include cashiering, taxpayer or customer service, and/or banking.
- Education and Training:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent, along with the Experience requirement, is required.
- Fundamental understanding of basic accounting principles is required.
- Associate Degree in Business Administration, Economics, and/or Finance conferred at the time of hiring, or a commitment to successfully complete such Associate Degree, and accomplishment of same, within two (2) years of hire date is required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, Economics, and/or Finance is preferred.
- License or Certificate: Notary Public commission by the Colorado Secretary of State, in good standing, is desired, and may be required after hiring.
- Background Check: Must pass criminal background check/s prior to hiring, and from time-to-time during employment.
- Drug testing at any time, as a condition of employment.
- Bilingual preferred
Minimum Qualification Scoring:
The scoring plan includes the following equivalencies which correlate to the minimum experience/education noted for the position:
- 2 years of related experience in a combination to include cashiering, taxpayer or customer service, and/or banking, high school diploma or GED equivalent, fundamental understanding of basic accounting principals, and a commitment to successfully complete Associate Degree in Business Administration, Economics, and/or Finance within two (2) years of hire date
- 2 years of related experience in a combination to include cashiering, taxpayer or customer service, and/or banking, fundamental understanding of basic accounting principals, and an Associate Degree in Business Administration, Economics, and/or Finance conferred at the time of hiring
- 2 years of related experience in a combination to include cashiering, taxpayer or customer service, and/or banking, fundamental understanding of basic accounting principals, and a Bachelor’s Degree in business, Economics, and/or Finance