Victim Advocate Specialist
- What Success Looks Like In This Job
Performs the critical role of shepherding victims of crime through the criminal justice system and providing access to services for those victims during the pendency of their cases.
Provides information regarding the role of the Victim Advocate Specialist and the criminal justice process to victims of crime in Adams and Broomfield Counties. This includes, but is not limited to, information on courtroom proceedings, the overall criminal justice process and definitions of legal terminology.
Maintains contact with victims and witnesses of crime. Provides direct services such as safety planning, crisis intervention services, guidance for seeking victim compensation and reimbursement, and criminal justice advocacy based on the victims' situation. Provides appropriate community resources and referrals
Works in collaboration with law enforcement, court officials, and community partners in the medical, mental health and social service fields to provide assistance and support to victims.
Accompanies victims to criminal justice proceedings, educate victims and witnesses about the criminal justice system, and provide advocacy by assisting in the protection and exertion of victims' rights.
Attends and participates in training opportunities directly related to the Victim Advocate role.
Performs additional tasks as requested by the Lead Victim Advocate Specialist and the Director of Victim Witness.
Highly preferred: Professional Spanish proficiency or fluency
- Examples of Duties for Success
- Maintains a calm demeanor with victims/witnesses and with staff
- Able to provide warmth and human connection to victims and witnesses
- Able to work with sensitive and confidential information
- Commitment to keeping the community safe and making the criminal justice system better
- Able to maintain social, ethical and organizational standards in job-related activities in the office and within the community
- Possesses strong organizational skills and is detail-oriented with the ability to prioritize, manage multiple projects and execute in a high-volume environment
- Has excellent communication skills with the ability to develop and convey thoughts clearly, logically and concisely both orally and in writing, using appropriate grammar and a strong command of the English language
- Able to work both independently and within a multi-disciplinary team to resolve issues
- Maintains composure and professionalism in an environment of changing and/or multiple priorities
- Able to work within a fast-paced environment with the ability to be flexible, meet deadlines, follow instructions and accept direction on given assignments
- Able to tolerate stressful situations and maintain a professional demeanor during times of stress
- Demonstrates computer skills including Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook and familair with entering data into online systems. Should also have basic recordkeeping and math skills.
- Maintains accurate case records and statistical information through documentation for each victim case in accordance with recordkeeping standards and guidelines
- Must have working knowledge of Colorado Criminal Justice system procedures and policies.
- Must have working knowledge and overview of Victim's Rights Act as set forth by the State of Colorado statutes
- Able to maintain workplace confidentiality and take ownership/accountability for own actions and aspects of the Victim Advocate Role
- Requires possession of a valid Colorado Driver’s License, access to reliable vehicle and adequate car insurance
- Other duties as assigned
- Qualifications for Success
A Bachelor's degree in a related field of study (i.e., social work, psychology, sociology, criminal justice) with a minimum of one year of experience in victim advocacy (specifically case management) is required or
Equivalent experience that includes a minimum of 3-5 years of experience in victim advocacy (specifically case management)
Resume and cover letter: A resume and cover letter MUST be submitted in order to be considered for this position.